Monday 22 August 2011

Meat-Free-Monday inspirations: Life-changing banana 'chocolate ice-cream'

Perusing the internet for vegan recipes, I found this wonderful website of fab recipes and interesting discussions about veganism. I was particularly drawn to the post "The raw ice cream that changed my life" - intriguing! Angela mentioned that she found the recipe on this site (another great one for recipes!). Wherever this recipe was born, it has changed many lives, including mine! Delicious ice-cream texture made from nothing but fruit - amazing!!

Very easy steps to follow (but you'll need a food processor):

  1. Freeze 3 or 4 bananas (peeled and roughly chopped) for a couple of hours.
  2. Place bananas in food processor and let rip. (Mine can't be used for more than a minute or so before it starts to sulk, so I generally have to process the bananas in two or three stages, letting the food processor recover for about 15 - 20 mins in between). The bananas will become light, aerated and creamy, just like soft-serve ice-cream. It defies logic (you think it will turn out mushy and slimy like mashed bananas), but not so! Take my word for it.
  3. Serve at this point, OR
  4. Add two tablespoons of cocoa powder (very rough measurement - add it to taste, really), two tablespoons of caster sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence, and let rip with the food processor once again, to blend ingredients.
  5. Serve immediately. 
    All sources I found which refer to this recipe note that those who make it can seldom hold back long enough to decant it into a bowl, and end up eating it out of the food processor, blades and all... Well, I can add my name to that list. It's incredible! Now that I'm writing about that, it really makes me crave it. I'm off to count how many bananas I have... :)

    Oh, btw, this recipe should make enough for 2 meaningful servings, or 3 smaller servings. Apart from the freezing time, and taking into account my food processor's need to rest for 20 minutes after every minute, the dish takes about 45 minutes to prepare (realistically, in terms of time actually spent preparing the dish, it takes about 5 minutes. Unbelievable!!)


    Take my advice and try this one. If you don't have a food processor, then this is a reason to get one!

    xx

    2 comments:

    1. GENUINELY LIFE-CHANGING!!!!!!!:):) man oh man this stuff is good!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Lol! Made myself some this evening and ate it all by myself. Truly decedent! (It's important to eat fruit, you know...) I should mention that if you use 2 or 3 bananas, as I did, you can get two decent sized servings or one ridiculously, unjustifiably over-the-top serving. Oh yeah.

      ReplyDelete