Wednesday 17 August 2011

WOW-Wednesday

A very un-wow start...

I was woken this morning by my insistent alarm clock. I was tired, I had a blocked nose (a 'blokdd doze') and it felt like my head was full of concrete. Plus, it was SOOOOooooOOo cold! I was utterly resentful of the fact that I would need to get out of bed to go to my boot-camp class. To walk to my boot-camp class. What stupid idiot, I thought, made the commitment to walking to boot-camp every day?? Well, yes, it was me. So I felt resentful, moody and sick, but I forced myself out of bed because after all I had to. Three more sessions this week, I thought, and then only a week to go! I was vaguely aware of and surprised at myself counting down the days to the end of boot-camp, because I have enjoyed and benefited from it immeasurably thus far. But everything was a victim of my bad mood, including wonderful boot-camp.

As I grumpily yanked off my pyjamas, I realised with a sinking feeling: It's Wednesday. WOW-Wednesday. Oh great, I moaned, now I have to be happy as well?!

Give yourself a hug
So, resignedly, I committed myself to trying to be less of a pain in the ass about everything. Something in me wanted a hug before it could look on the bright side of life. So I gave it a hug. 'You want to wear a scarf to your exercise class? Well, let's wear a scarf then.' 'Oh, you want to do your hair nicely? Well, ok - that doesn't seem a bit silly at all! Let's take the time to get ourself looking and feeling pretty'. And gradually, with these interior hugs, that something inside became less disgruntled and disillusioned. And, well, I had an awesome time at boot-camp. I loved the walk and really, I know I was just being a big baby earlier!

But here's my message for the day: it's ok to be a big baby sometimes! Listen to your big-babyness and give your sulking self a lollipop, or a hug, or some jivey music to dance to. Then watch it start to tap its toes!

So whatever you need in order to be your best and see the best in the world, do that for yourself. Maybe it means taking a few minutes to make yourself nice coffee, or wearing your favourite shoes, or listening to Celine Dion even though everyone you know says she's lame (and singing along passionately!)...

Have a WOW-Wednesday everyone :)

'Til next time 
xx 

4 comments:

  1. I've reached the following somewhat unorthodox conclusions and observations:
    1. Contrary to the most recent U.S. Dietary Guidelines, B12 can be found in plants.
    2. Organically grown plants contain higher levels of B12 than plants grown non-organically with chemical fertilizers.
    3. Plant roots are able to absorb certain vitamins produced by soil microorganisms, thus suggesting that plants grown in healthy soil, full of microflora and microfauna, are more nutritious.
    4. Vegans - and anyone else - should be able to obtain B12 by consuming organically grown produce.
    5. Evidence that plants obtain vitamins from the soil has been available for several decades.

    To understand what has brought me to these conclusions, let's ask three essential questions: (1) Are vegans really at greater risk of B12 deficiency? (2) Does a vegan diet provide all the B12 that we need? (3) Assuming that there is at least a good chance that we evolved on this type of diet, how did we get our B12?
    http://www.tcolincampbell.org/courses-resources/article/b12-breakthrough-missing-nutrient-found-in-plants/?tx_ttnews[backPid]=76&cHash=135f525da5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Av - I too have those sulky moments. I love the idea of self hugs. I'll try those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great concept:) i think i could seriously do with some self hugs from time to time! thanks Av :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't we all! Check out my latest Wow-Wednesday post for some ideas for self-hugging :-)

    ReplyDelete